Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Internal Users Cannot Access Dashboard

This may be a 365 issue, but I have recently joined a new business and have implemented Power BI.

When I publish and share the link, the users are prompted to sign in, usually this would be whatever username/password combo they use to log into their PC. However when they enter these details, they are told that their password or username is incorrect.

How do I get around this one? Would I need to reset all of their 365 passwords?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A free license will unfornuatately not suffice, all secure sharing requires a paid license of sorts. I'm guessing the error they get is that they are not properly licensed, so yes, I think a pro license would fix it. Try giving one user a pro license and see if that fixes the issue (you definately wont be able to share reports to non-licensed users under any circumstance other than sharing it as a public link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)).

So a requirement for sharing content is:

1. Users need a Pro license
  2. Using Premium capacity (expensive)
  3. Or other dedicated capacity (e.g. A or EM sku)

Option 2 or 3 is only relevant if you have many users and option 3 will require some extra setup (and only relevant from around 50 users and upwards).

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

There is no need to reset passwords, that cannot be the issue. How have you publised the report? 

Do all the users have a Power BI Pro license or is this the first time they are using Power BI? Are you using other Office 365 products and do they work?

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply, most of them are new to Power BI so won't have a licence just yet and I am publishing to an app I created, in which I have granted access to the relevant users.

I have assigned them the free version of PBI in 365, would buying pro licences fix this?

@T-1000 - My company has often used trial licenses when we're temporarily out of pro-licenses to bridge the gap and get them access to reports until we're able to get them a permanent one. I don't see why this shouldn't work.

A free license will unfornuatately not suffice, all secure sharing requires a paid license of sorts. I'm guessing the error they get is that they are not properly licensed, so yes, I think a pro license would fix it. Try giving one user a pro license and see if that fixes the issue (you definately wont be able to share reports to non-licensed users under any circumstance other than sharing it as a public link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)).

So a requirement for sharing content is:

1. Users need a Pro license
  2. Using Premium capacity (expensive)
  3. Or other dedicated capacity (e.g. A or EM sku)

Option 2 or 3 is only relevant if you have many users and option 3 will require some extra setup (and only relevant from around 50 users and upwards).

Hope that helps

T-1000
Regular Visitor

The users were on Power BI (Free) not Power BI Pro free trial.

Problem solved, thanks mate.

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Cheers, I'll let you know if this works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors