Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KAATA
Helper I
Helper I

Integration between Power BI Service and Snowflake database via SSO

Hi,
I am trying to set up the integration between Power BI Service and Snowflake database.

The Snowflake database is on a private link.
We should use the Direct query method and log in should be via SSO.

We are able to connect to the Snowflake database in Power BI Desktop, but we get errors when we publsih it to the PBI Service. 

I read online on Microsoft's documentation that I need to enable the Snowflake SSO setting in the Admin portal (Tenant - Integration). Then I need to go to the published dataset, edit my credentials and log in. I have done that, but it is still not working.
Connect to Snowflake with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

When I continue reading, I see that I might also need to enable another setting: Azure AD Single Sign-On (SSO) for Gateway (Tenant - Integration settings)
Announcing data gateway support for Single Sign-On (SSO) with Azure Active Directory | Microsoft Pow...

So I get a few questions:
Do I need to enable the Azure AD Single Sign-On (SSO) for Gateway just because we are using a private link to Snowflake?
If this is enabled, then what is the impact to all existing models that have Azure sources?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KAATA ,

Per the official document, if you are working with reports that require SSO connectivity in DirectQuery mode to data sources deployed in an Azure virtual network(Azure VNet), Single Sign-On (SSO) through the data gateway to cloud data sources that rely on Azure Active Directory (AAD)-based authentication is important. It will help get seamless AAD SSO connectivity to Azure-based data sources, such as Snowflake on Azure through an on-premises data gateway. So, you need to enable it.

After you enabling Azure AD Single Sign-On for Gateway, it should work for all the applicable data sources that relies on AAD-based authentication.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
manishmadagowni
Frequent Visitor

can we use import and directquery if we implement SSO.

KAATA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-cazheng-msft,
Thanks for your input.
Yes, in short I had to enable both of the below integration settings:
- Snowflake SSO
- Azure AD Single Sign-On (SSO) for Gateway
Then I added a new data source to the gateway (pointing to exactly the same data source as in the desktop pbix file). I also enbaled SSO while adding the data source.
Thanks,
Katerina

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KAATA ,

Per the official document, if you are working with reports that require SSO connectivity in DirectQuery mode to data sources deployed in an Azure virtual network(Azure VNet), Single Sign-On (SSO) through the data gateway to cloud data sources that rely on Azure Active Directory (AAD)-based authentication is important. It will help get seamless AAD SSO connectivity to Azure-based data sources, such as Snowflake on Azure through an on-premises data gateway. So, you need to enable it.

After you enabling Azure AD Single Sign-On for Gateway, it should work for all the applicable data sources that relies on AAD-based authentication.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors