Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kajaldas007

Installing enterprise gateway on a different VM instance than the one containing SQL Server

Hi,

I am about to install and configure Power BI enterprise gateway on a VM instance that's different from the one that hosts the data source (in this case an SQL Server database).

I checked the documentation. It does not cover this scenario. All that it says is following:

"It is recommended that you install this gateway on a server that is running the data source you will be connecting to. While you can install it on a different machine, you reduce potential network latency by having it on the same machine."

My questions are following:

1) If I follow the instructions for installing and configuring enterprise gateway the way the documentation describes (as if the both the gateway and the data source are residing on the same VM instance), would it still work just like that? Or do I have to take additional steps (e.g. ensuring the connectivity between the gateway and the data source, SQL client tools on the Gateway server, etc.)?

2) I would like to understand more on how exactly the communication happens between the gateway and the data source, in general (not assuming they are residing on the same server).

Please enlighten me.

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kajaldas007 In my experience,

1. Provided both servers are able to talk / interact with each other / on same domains you don't need to take additional steps for letting gateway talk to data soruce that is on different server

2. How gateway talks to the data source also depends on data source type. I think it make use of sql connectivity tools to talk to sql server database but will be different for Oracle or other data source types. I haven't been able to find any official documentation on it so far.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors