Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

onbi
Helper I
Helper I

Installing On-Premise Power BI Gateway on Azure VM.

Hello:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but I'm looking to install On-Premise Power BI gateway (Enterprise) by spinning up Azure VM with Windows Server OS. We already have one gateway in our cluster, which is installed on the on-premise server.

However, in order to load-balance and have 99.99% availability, I'm looking into installing another gateway on Azure and add it to our cluster. This gateway will connect to various datasources such as Oracle DB, Sharepoint Online, Salesforce etc.

The question is, can I use this gateway for the above datasources or is this gateway only useful in case of connecting with Azure Analysis Services? Would love to get your suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As long as your Azure VM can access the same data sources as your On-Premise Gateway it will not be a problem at all.

I have many Azure VMs running that have got all the required network and user access and it works very well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you @GilbertQ

Is there any documentation or site, which you can refer to what is needed after spinning up the Azure VM, installing Windows Server and then Enterprise Power BI gateway?

Hi @onbi ,

I didn't found  any doceument for it. But I think it's the same as installing the gateway in a local machine.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors