Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installed Gateway, shows online, trying to Create Datasource "Unexpected error" happens

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Gateway shows up, says "Online: You are good to go."  Type in everything and get this.... What's going on?  Others are able to create the datasource but me using same information...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The gateway keys data source off of server name/database name...you can't have two connections to the same source in the gateway.  A data souce only need be added once.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

How are you trying to authenticate?

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check if you are the admin of the gateway. Please refer to this official document.

To use an on-premises data source in a dataflow, any user creating the dataflow must have an Enterprise Gateway installed and configured. The user creating the dataflow also must be the Enterprise Gateway's administrator in order to use that gateway for a dataflow.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. There’s multiple people listed as the admin for the gateway. Some of them can work with it just fine, others (who are admins on the gateway) are getting this “unexpected error”

The error just happens trying to create a new connection to SQL Server?  The users it is working fine for are using other connections?

I have to enable HTTPS in the gateway config on the host computer in my company for it to work.  You can also enabling logging in the gateway and see if there's more useful error messages in there: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the first connection, again... this is just a test walkthru we're doing with the gateway.  The local MSSQL server has just a single DB that we're using to test with.  We installed MSSQL, loaded the DB, installed the gateway, init'ed the gateway with our pbi tenant.  A user then was able to create a datasource using the gateway without issue, then the next user (me) tried the same thing and got "unexpected error"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.13.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.12.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.12.17 PM.png

The gateway keys data source off of server name/database name...you can't have two connections to the same source in the gateway.  A data souce only need be added once.

Also, FYI, if you do need two connections with different credentials, you can edit the HOSTS file and alias IP addresses.  You would add something like:

127.0.0.1 myconnection
127.0.0.1 otherconnection

and then you could refer to the data source as "myconnection" or "otherconnection" in the gateway with different creds.

You would have to update the HOSTS file on your computer(s) running Power BI Desktop, and server running the gateway...and in your reports, refer to the data source as one of those names. 🙂

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Is your SQL Server On-Premise or on Azure?

If it is on-prem can you make sure that where you installed the Gateway that it can successfully connect to the database?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

We’re testing the functionality to get ready for a partner who we’ll be onboarding. The “server” is a micro server with the gateway running on the same box as sql itself we’re trying to attach too.

And again, some users aren’t having an issue. Some have this error come up.

Which operating system are you running?

Also is there enough memory and CPU for both the SQL Server and the Gateway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Server 2019, mssql dev 2019. All you and running along just fine. Gateway installer on this same server, doing sql auth.

Again, other users aren’t having an issue, some are getting this “unexpected error”

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors