Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

helenah
Helper I
Helper I

Inline hierarchy works on report but shows incorrectly when published

I have been able to create an inline hierarchy (rather new feature in Power BI) with Time (Year-Quarter-Month). My report shows fine a bar chart byu Year and Quarter, but when I publish the report, the Year disappers. This means that e.g. quarter data is sum of several years -> does not make sense.

Have you been able to get the inline hierarchy working on published reports as well?

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@helenah

Thanks for your post. That seems a potential bug or a not implemented feature in Power BI Service. After all the inline hierarchy was recently introduced and is still in preview.

Anyway I will report this internally and would post any subsequent update if I get. 🙂

As a workaround, you can enable the drill mode on, it can help to drill down to the lower level of the selected year.
Capture.PNG

Hi,

I have enabled drill mode, but that does not help when I want to see several years at the same time on quarter level.

I have a need to show data on quarter level for several years (but also have the drill up / down possibility so I want to have the time hierarchy active, not just create a "Year Quarter" static measure).

Looking forward to a solution or any help to get this working.

br,

Helena

@helenah wrote:

Hi,

I have enabled drill mode, but that does not help when I want to see several years at the same time on quarter level.

I have a need to show data on quarter level for several years (but also have the drill up / down possibility so I want to have the time hierarchy active, not just create a "Year Quarter" static measure).

Looking forward to a solution or any help to get this working.

br,

Helena

@helenah

The only workaround I can think of is using a calculated column(eg "2016-Q1") as the x-aixs.

YearQuarter = YEAR([DATE])&"-Q"&(MONTH([DATE])+2)/3

Hi,

Yes, that is a workaround, but still, what is the point of making a functionaility for "Inline hierarchy" if you are not able to use it on reports that other people see? Is this in the development roadmap?

br,

Helena

@Eric_Zhang

@helenah

The "inline hierarchy" is still in preview(namely not yet ready for production), which means you shall not depend on it when developing a production report.

I've no idea if it is in the development roadmap. Anyway I've already reported it internally and would post back if I get any update.

Thanks for your understanding.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors