Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Initiate dataset refresh based on on-prem db update

Hi,

I have a dataset from an on-prem SQL Server database that I access through a gateway.  This database finishes refreshing at different times each morning, depending on data volume.  I would like to kick-off the dataset refresh in the Power BI service, once the underlying database has completed refreshing.  How do I do this?  Similarly, once that dataset has refreshed, I want to kick off an email subscription for the accompanying report.  I can't use set times for the dataset refresh or the report subscription, so any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may move the on-pre SQL Server database to Azure SQL Server which is a kind of cloud data source,  in this way, it needn't to use gateway and it is not possible to configure the schedule refresh interval for the single data source separately.

That means the data won't be imported into Power BI Service, and you don't need to run a data refresh, the data refresh synchronizes datasets and reports in Power BI Service with the underlying data in Azure SQL Server. So it will unnecessary to send subscription email to notify users the reports have refresh success.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may move the on-pre SQL Server database to Azure SQL Server which is a kind of cloud data source,  in this way, it needn't to use gateway and it is not possible to configure the schedule refresh interval for the single data source separately.

That means the data won't be imported into Power BI Service, and you don't need to run a data refresh, the data refresh synchronizes datasets and reports in Power BI Service with the underlying data in Azure SQL Server. So it will unnecessary to send subscription email to notify users the reports have refresh success.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors