Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ed-freeman
Helper II
Helper II

Initializing Dataflow data source credentials programmatically

Hi everyone.

We are successfully importing a dataflow using the Post Import in Group API. Its data source is an Azure SQL DB. However, for the dataflow to properly load & be refreshed, we need to supply credentials for the data source(s). This can be done manually - either by trying to edit the dataflow entity or by opening up the dataflow settings. But can this be done programmatically?

For datasets, it seems that one can use the Update Data Sources in Group API to edit the credentials and provide a connection string. But there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for dataflows. 

Ideally, we want a fully-automated way of creating a ready-to-use dataflow, but we can't seem to figure out a way of setting the credentials programmatically.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks,

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Figured it out. To update any datasource credentials (Dataflow/Dataset) programmatically, you need to first get the datasourceId and the gatewayId for the Dataflow or Dataset. For a Dataflow, you should use the Get Dataflow Data Sources API. For a Dataset, use the Get Dataset Data Sources API

Then, for the datasource whose credentials you want to update, use the Gateways Update Data Source API, using the corresponding datasourceId and gatewayId returned from the first call.

It was the Gateways bit I was initially missing - but having found that, everything works as expected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ed-freeman ,

If you are not familiar with REST API or program coding, I'm not so recommend you to try this method.

Spoiler
Logic:
1. Setting up a looping function with correspond conditions for start and stop.
2. Coding 'get access token', 'get data from azure sql', 'push data to rest api' methods.
3. Use looping functions to invoke above methods.

AFAIK, the simple way to achieve automatic refresh is create a dataflow based on sql connector and configure correspond data credentials.(azure sql not require gateway to handle refresh)

Creating and using dataflows in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Thank you for the reply!

We know we can use "Push Datasets" to create datasets in the Power BI Service. But we're not creating a dataset, we're creating a dataflow.

We are currently successfully using the API to import the dataflow. The dataflow "structure” is imported fine, but we don't know of any way to set up the credentials programmatically. We know we can set up the credentials manually, but that's exactly what we want to avoid.

If you know of any way to set up dataflow credentials programmatically, we'd love to hear how Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Ed

Hi @ed-freeman ,

In fact, power bi official document already list how to get access token.(tutorial step 2)  Please check following document to know more about this: (include sample code)

Step 2: Get an authentication access token

After these, you only need to write a looping function based on timer to invoke getToken function to get new token before current token expired.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your response, but I think you're misunderstanding my problem. I'm not trying to use the Push Data capability.

I have an Azure SQL Database. I'm programmatically creating a Dataflow (using the Post Import in Group API)) which connects to that database. However, before I can access the dataflow in the Power BI Service I need to manually enter the credentials (username & password) for the Azure SQL Database. I am wondering whether this part can be done programmatically.

Regards,

Ed

Figured it out. To update any datasource credentials (Dataflow/Dataset) programmatically, you need to first get the datasourceId and the gatewayId for the Dataflow or Dataset. For a Dataflow, you should use the Get Dataflow Data Sources API. For a Dataset, use the Get Dataset Data Sources API

Then, for the datasource whose credentials you want to update, use the Gateways Update Data Source API, using the corresponding datasourceId and gatewayId returned from the first call.

It was the Gateways bit I was initially missing - but having found that, everything works as expected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors