Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

Initialization of the data source failed using Power Bl Excel plug in

I created a dashboard in Power Bl which works well.

The disadvantage of this is that we also wanted to present the the information in a report format.  To do this I used the Power Bl Excel plugin to connect to the report and built a Pivot table with the information required. This too works well.

I then shared this with the other users of the dashboard.  This is where the challenge arises as they get the error from the title of this post.  They have access to the data as they can use the dashboard it is based on but still get this message. 

what am I doing wrong?  Having excel spreadsheets that work Well with external data seems to be a real challenge!

5 REPLIES 5
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi trevb,

Are you using the Analyze in Excel, or the Power BI publisher for Excel?

If this is Analyze in Excel, how did you share the dashboard with the others?

In order to share your workbook with other Power BI users, you must share the dataset (the workbook) by doing one of the following:

• Share the Power BI dashboard that hosts a pinned element from your Power BI report with the user
  • Share a content pack that contains the dataset with the user (I prefer this option)
  • Add the user with whom you want to share to the group that owns the dataset

Reference: Analyze in Excel

Also check the troubleshooting page and see if it would help:

Troubleshooting Analyze in Excel

Besides, check to see the Excel version, some folks also shared that different version Excel (from the one which editing the ODC file ) would cause the error you mentioned when open the ODC file.

For Power BI publisher, we could connect to the related dataset or report, create the Pivot table and then PIN the Pivot table into a preferred dashboard.

Power BI publisher for Excel

Regards

Hi There,

I've loaded the powerbi excel stuff and then used the option connect to data whereupon I have connected to the report data.

The users have access to the data as they can all use the dashboard.  That was the reason I used this route to provide the data for the spreadsheet.

The different version thing could be the answer here.  I am not sure what version the guys that tried to open this are using.  I will find out.

OK.

If any further help needed, please post back.

Regards

Yeah sadly I still get the issue and still cannot figure out why.  As far as I know if someone can see the dashboard then they should be able to see and update a spreadsheet that has data from that same dashboard exposed.

Hi trevb,

Apologize for the late response.

I suspect the issue here should be related with the ODC file, with the Analyze in Excel function.

Pllease take a try to switch to Power Bi publisher for Excel, and verify if issue insists. Check the article I shared in my earlier post for the details.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors