Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Initial PBI Setup - Security, Refreshing, SQL Querying

Hi folks, new to PBI and astounded at the possibilities! We're a manufacturing outfit trying to move into the 21st century in terms of KPI and performance metrics. The idea is wherever employees are in the world, they need access to data to analyze problem root causes, inform strategic decisions, and have a handle on company health. You get the idea.

My management team just approved PBI Pro licenses for about 30 of our 50 or so employees, and put me in charge of the whole thing. I know full well that the effort runs deeper and covers more territory than what I realize, and so I'm asking for some direction from you seasoned and brave PBI veterans.

I know our database intimately, am learning SQL, and have two guys that don't know Power BI but are masters of SQL. I know what the end result looks like (more or less), have begun building SQL views, security groups, function-specific Teams (within MS Teams) and PBI dashboards/reports, but we are struggling to connect up all the pieces. The data isn't refreshing at all when users view the dashboards (or are they reports?), users just get blank screens from the app site, there's some concern about upper management-level info being accessible by employees that don't need to know, etc. 

The questions: what should I be reading, or what kinds of courses should I be taking to best lead this project? Is it realistic to think I can do this with my team of 3 over a year's time? Do I need to bring someone in who already knows this stuff?

Thanks folks.

Ben Connelly

Financial Systems Analyst

entrotech, Inc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

3 people in a year, yes. I would start with the Learn link at the top of this community site. There are lots of good books out there too. I would recommend Phil Seamark's for the SQL guys to learn DAX. Great book.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

3 people in a year, yes. I would start with the Learn link at the top of this community site. There are lots of good books out there too. I would recommend Phil Seamark's for the SQL guys to learn DAX. Great book.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors