Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NoGateway

Information is needed in order to combine data Table: NO GATEWAY

Getting an error from a merge between data from a sharpoint excel file and SQL, but online in online refresh (refreshes fine in Desktop).

Last refresh failed: Mon Apr 29 2019 11:44:29 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.

Message:Information is needed in order to combine data Table: Sheet1.

There is NO GATEWAY (all answers I could find online had to do with Gateway settings, hence my posting).  All Privacy Level settings are currently set to None, and Global and Current File are both set to Ignore Privacy (as stated, I did look this up and doid everything mentioned, except change Gateway settings, since there are none, as "You don't need a gateway for this dataset....".

The issue appears to be a left merge between an excel list of Tenants (through a SHarepoint file) and a SQL list of Tenants.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I am also having this issue and wanted to know if you found a solution.  Everything I found was dealing with gateway and privacy settings.  Settings are set to none and no gateway is needed.

Hi

I did not find a solution for the root cause. I also tried upgrading the gateway to the latest May 2019 release.

I did however implement a work around as follows:

I remomved the query where I merge data from Query 1 (SharePoint On-line) and Query 2 (an On-premise data source).

Instead, I added a number of columns in Query 1, using DAX lookup functions. Essentially this provides the same result as a left-outer join - but does not result in a new query that requieres a gateway refresh.

Hope it helps - remember to mark it as a solution if it solved your problem.

Regards 

I appreaciate this thread is not far off a year old now but I would like to know if you discovered the actual cause of your issue and what was it?  I see you found a workaround, but using DAX to do the merge, however I'm interested to know on what the precise issue was.

I wonder if it was the case that when Query 1 was ready to merge/return data from Query 2, that Query 2 hadn't actually completed its tasks/loading before Query 1 started asking for its data - does this sound about right?

Is there anyway to force Query 2 to complete first before Query 1 starts its processing?  This way when Query 1 request the data from Query 2 then the data will be ready.

Thanks.

sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I have the same error.

Data source 1 is from Excel on SharePoint on-line.

Data source 2 is from an on-premise SQL server DB.

I do not have a gateway for data source 1 - we do not need it as it is SharePoint online.

I have a data source registered on the Enterprise gateway for Data source 2.

Both data sources refresh perfectly fine on the gateway - until I merge them in data source 3 - then the refresh fails with the same error mentioned in the OP.

Is this the same as your scenario? Have you been able to fix it and can you share the solution please?

Thx

Stephen

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @NoGateway 

SQL Server also needs a gateway for the refresh. you need to install a gateway for it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql

And here is some similar post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Information-is-needed-in-order-to-combine-data/td-p/574058

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Refresh-error-Reason-PrivacySetting-quot-Information-is-nee...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Refresh-error-message-Information-is-needed-in-order-to-com...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors