Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OliverC
Regular Visitor

Industry name not showing in Sales Analytics app

Hi

We're using Sales Analytics to show data from Dynamics 365. 

The Industry field in the PowerBI graphs always shows as BLANK, but in Dynamics the Industry field works just fine in graphs. Is there a reason why this might be? Industry codes are showing correctly in PowerBI, just not the names of the industry. 

We're using Dyanamics 365 CE Wave 2 2020

Olly

8 REPLIES 8
AixnilLIN

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @OliverC ,

Can you clarify a bit more?  You state that the Industry Field appears in Dynamics and not Power BI.  Do you mean that you have used Power BI to connect to the data entity or to something else and that no field called "Industry Field" appears in the Power Query Editor?  OR, is there a field there and it won't display on your graph visual?  OR, are you not doing this in Power BI at all?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Here's an example. In the Sales Analytic app within PowerBI, which is a publically available app in the PowerBI "app store" (for want of a better description), it has some useful default charts, several relate to the "Industry" of the Account in Dynamics. That always shows "Blank". Though the Industry Code shows the correct code. 

2020-09-16 13_04_22-Sales Analytics for Dynamics 365 Sales - Power BI and 18 more pages - Personal -.png

Here's the settings in Sales Analytics

2020-09-16 17_03_06-Backup Server concerns - Message (HTML).png

This maps to the Industry field in Dynamics which is populated. In Dynamics the charts pick up the Industry name, just to prove that it's all working there. 

2020-09-16 16_57_55-Accounts My Active Accounts - Microsoft Dynamics 365 and 17 more pages - Persona.png

My guess is that there's something up with the query that Sales Analytics is using to gather the industry data, but that goes beyond my skillset.

Does that help?

Hi @OliverC ,

First, thanks for the clarification.  I have replicated that report and do NOT see any issues. I switched Industry Code and Industry from the Group and the Details and it still worked fine for me.  2020-09-16_11-22-27.jpg

What I suggest next is to refresh the data just to confirm that there is not a weird hang up somewhere.  If it is still a problem, try a different browser (I know, sounds silly, but we may have a cache problem).  And, if it still doesn't work for you I think this might be support ticket time.  Start with Power BI support but they will probably ending up deferring you to Dynamics support.  

Let us know how this works out for you!

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that we've edited our Industry types to fit better with the sector in which we operate. Each Industry is a new entry in the Industry option set. 

Again, it's pulling in the new Industry Code from the optionset for that field, so I can't understand why it's not getting the Industry name. 

Do you think that's an issue?

Hi @OliverC ,

Yes, that is almost certainly the case.  The fields that are being used in the app are the default fields and there could even be a filter set for the values in the app.  Did you change the field name in your modified version?  If so, is that field listed?  Often times custom fields may have the same friendly name (like "industry" in this case) but have a totally different identifier in the system.  I would suggest hunting for that field.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

The field itself (Industry) is the same. However that field was an optionset with about 10 or so default entries. We removed those and put in about 5 that we use, using the names that we use internally. 

Each of those new entries has a new index code , which is showing above. But the names don't. 

If it's pulling the code then it can see the Industry field, and can read the optionset values, surely?

No closer to a resolution on this. 

However I have found that if we change the IndustryCode optionset in Dynamics to....

Name:

My Industry

Value:

Then in PowerBI it shows that industry as "Agriculture and non-petrol natural resources" which is a string that I can't find anywhere in dynamics. 

It seems that PowerBI Sales Analytics is converting the Value in the Optionset of the IndustryCode field to a pre-determined table that is kept in PowerBI somewhere.

Olly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors