Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThalesFerraz
Helper III
Helper III

Incremental update on Power BI Service

Hello there,

I need your help.

Today I update my Azure database incrementally (updating only the last 15 days of data)

I would like to know if it is possible to update the Power BI database incrementally.

I ask this because it is getting heavy for my company to send all data to Power BI daily.

Is there any solution that allows incremental updating?

illustrative picture

Sem título.png

Sincerely,
Thales Ferraz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ThalesFerraz,

Update in Power Bi service, usually we import the date in desktop then publish it to service, create a refresh schedule by gateway.

If you update to Power BI in import model, the incremental updating is unsupported. There is a similar idea, you can vote it and improve Power BI in One Query and make this feature comes sooner. But you can load the date in two query(old and new), then union them togerther, more details, please review: Incremental Load in Power BI using DAX UNION.

You can use Direct model-no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop, you’re always viewing current data. But there are some limitations, please see: Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery and Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ThalesFerraz,

Update in Power Bi service, usually we import the date in desktop then publish it to service, create a refresh schedule by gateway.

If you update to Power BI in import model, the incremental updating is unsupported. There is a similar idea, you can vote it and improve Power BI in One Query and make this feature comes sooner. But you can load the date in two query(old and new), then union them togerther, more details, please review: Incremental Load in Power BI using DAX UNION.

You can use Direct model-no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop, you’re always viewing current data. But there are some limitations, please see: Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery and Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hello @v-huizhn-msft,

thanks for your return.
It really helped.

Sincerely,
Thales Ferraz

@ThalesFerraz Are you importing or using Direct Query? My first suggestion is to use Direct Query if you aren't... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello @Seth_C_Bauer,

Thanks for asking.

We already do it

Sincerely,
Thales Ferraz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors