Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SLI
Helper IV
Helper IV

Incremental refresh

Hello 

can you please tell me, how i can do to get an incremental refresh with power bi (pro licences)
if it is not available, how can i do to reduce the time of refresh (i have a table wich contains 12 000 000 lines)

Thanks

SLi

5 REPLIES 5
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

My work-around for incremental refresh is to download historical data into flat-files (CSV, JSON, TXT) and put in OneDrive/SharePoint.  I pull these files into Power BI in the Query Editor and Append with query that retrieves "live" data.

I query the last date in my "historical" dataset to determine the start date for my "live" query--so it's always dynamic as I drop more "historical" files in my OneDrive/SharePoint folder.

Is it possible to write back to your OneDrive/Sharepoint historic data from Power Query?

My scenario is similar. I have an historic static file on sharepoint as my starting point.

I use Power Query to detemine the incremental records. This is dynamic in a sense that it will compare data of newly added files to this static file. 

But how do I now write back these incemental records so they now become part of the static, and not longer re-evaluated each refresh?? 

Is there a way to automate this, and ie: not manually rename the query for each refresh... 

You don't write back, you just connect to it.

I would start with one or a few of your historical files in a local folder, and use the Folder connector to connect to it.  Power BI will write some Power Query M for you then.  Use Combine & Edit to loop through these files and ingest them into Power BI.

Separately, use the OneDrive connector to connect to one of your files in SharePoint.  Then swap out the "Source =" code in the Folder version with the "Source =" and related lines from the SharePoint version. 🙂

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently as it stands today Power BI Pro does not have incremental refresh.

If you want to reduce the refresh time, you could look at increasing the bandwidth and power of the Gateway server?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi
I ve done it and the result is the same
Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors