Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iBusinessBI
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Incremental refresh with several Appended Dataflows

I have an SQL Server datasource (accounting system) which I need to combine with Excel data in Sharepoint (consolidated journal entries that are not inside the accounting system).

I need to have this data appended to a single Fact table in my dataset. 

The accounting system data is changing only in the last 4 months, the rest is not changing.

I am trying to implement an Incremental Refresh but combining two different datasources - SQL and Sharepoint.

I've created 3 Dataflows: Recent Data, Historical Data and Excel Data, which suits my needs and refreshes very well.

But how can I Append them all in the dataset, while keeping the Query Folding of the dataflow?

I've tried this: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/08/22/how-query-folding-and-the-new-power-bi-dataflows-connector-c...

But as soon as I Append the queries, I loose the Folding...

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
iBusinessBI
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I have found the solution! First I’ve created three queries from the new Dataflow connector.

Then I’ve added the filtering with RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters in each query.

I’ve checked and the query folding is taking place in all queries. Then I’ve disable loading into model for the three queries and created a forth query (FactTable) which Appends the three. Then I filtered this table again with the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters (this filter is redundant but we need it, otherwise the model will not allow us to set incremental refresh policy). On this step the query folding is lost but it doesn’t matter since we already append the filtered data from the previous, folded queries. The last step is of course to set the incremental refresh policy and publish. This can also be implemented for different data sources, for example - SQL Server and Dataflow. Hope someone can also benefit from this solution.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
iBusinessBI
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I have found the solution! First I’ve created three queries from the new Dataflow connector.

Then I’ve added the filtering with RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters in each query.

I’ve checked and the query folding is taking place in all queries. Then I’ve disable loading into model for the three queries and created a forth query (FactTable) which Appends the three. Then I filtered this table again with the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters (this filter is redundant but we need it, otherwise the model will not allow us to set incremental refresh policy). On this step the query folding is lost but it doesn’t matter since we already append the filtered data from the previous, folded queries. The last step is of course to set the incremental refresh policy and publish. This can also be implemented for different data sources, for example - SQL Server and Dataflow. Hope someone can also benefit from this solution.

Hi, can this solution work for CSV files being used in an appended query? I have a CSV file with historical data. I have a connection to Dataverse with the same columns but more recent data. I appended the queries. How can I set up incremental refresh?

Hello, I use in a dataset some data flow, such flows are already configured for incremental update in the power bi service.
Only that it would be necessary to configure the incremental update in the set.

I'm finding several difficulties for this, would it be possible for you to help me?

I ran it exactly as mentioned in your post, but without success.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

In this scenario I'd give Power BI Premium serious consideration to get access to linked entities.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
iBusinessBI
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

@ImkeF Imke, maybe you have a solution to this challenge since it is both an accounting setup and has an incremental refresh challenge?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors