Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerRon
Post Patron
Post Patron

Incremental refresh understanding

Hai,

as a newbie looking for some understanding of incremental refresh. Read about it, watched a video, but want some confirmation.
We have fact tables and dimensions. In our coming architecture I presume "Import data" will be our first option.

Refreshing fact tabless by using the two parameters RangeStart and RangeEnd will work fine, I presume.

It will for instance only add the facts of the last day.

But how does it work with dimensions? We have a table with agreements, roundabout 10 million. Every row has a field called Last-Changed-Date. If I enable for this table Detect Data Changes, does that mean it will only refresh those rows where the Last-Changed-Date has changed?

Are there more issues I should consider concerning refresh?

Thnx Ron

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerRon ,

The following requirements need to be satisfied if need incremental refresh to work:

• The data source must support query folding
  • The filter only applies to date time column

When you can enable the option "Detect Data Changes" and choose the field Last-Changed-Date, then the process of incremental refresh can monitor this field, and only get rows that the date/time is after the latest date/time in this field in the previous refresh. You can review the contents in the following links for more details.

All You Need to Know About the Incremental Refresh in Power BI: Load Changes Only

Power BI Incremental Refresh - Understanding Detect Data Changes

Data refresh and scheduling

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors