Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JontyB
Frequent Visitor

Incremental refresh question

hi PowerBI community can anyone help with an incremental refresh query, im using the Feb 2020 version of desktop and have confirmed that that query folding works with my query, i did have to do a bit of work creating a view on our server, which takes a bit of time to run, 34 seconds at last run, but im wondering if I'm using a field which is date stamped when a user updates any item in the table, how does incremental refresh handle this? will it overwrite the row or add a new row? e.g. i'm storing 5 years worth of data, a user updates a record thus adding a new timestamp, will the information in the stored data be replaced. or a new row be added in the refresh? whcih has the potential to leave the old row in the stored data... ive started to consider how/if i could add mdx which would look for duplicate records and return just the max update date, but i think this could be counter productive. 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JontyB ,

Answer is your date range and the key column. If the Key column is between your date range that is pulled into the dataset. Historical data will not be changed.

However, please find the below info from the official documentation : 

The filter on the date column is used to dynamically partition the data into ranges in the Power BI service. Incremental refresh isn't designed to support cases where the filtered date column is updated in the source system. An update is interpreted as an insertion and a deletion, not an actual update. If the deletion occurs in the historical range and not the incremental range, it won’t get picked up. This can cause data refresh failures due to partition-key conflicts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh#filter-date-column-upd...

Also i suggest you go through an intresting conversation about similar kind of your question below.. which might help you with more information  

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Premium-Incremental-Refresh-Detect-data-changes-How-does-it...

If you like my answer.. Give me a Kudos! and if you feel this answers your query... Accept this as a Solution

@Anonymous thanks for this advice, id obviously not searched enough, over the weekend i think ive answered my own question, i set up a test report with an update and left it running, over the weekend ive had refresh failures on the test report due to the issue you have mentioned, ill have a look at the links you have sent and see if i can make some changes which may enable incremental refresh to support my needs. however the ammount of updates which are made to our database in the days after an incident occurs may mean incremental refresh will not work for us at the moment. 

thanks for your speedy and comprehansive reply 👍 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors