Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental refresh handle deletes not working

Hi,

I've implemented Incremental refresh for my PBI Premium dataset with the folowing settings.

Parameters (RangeStart and RangeEnd) on the 'DataLoaded' column.

Detect data changes on VersionUpdateDate

And a filter on CurrentVersion = 1 to handle deletes.

NikGT_0-1606480684144.png

Preview Query Editor

NikGT_1-1606480873919.png

Filter to handle deletes/current version

NikGT_2-1606480900364.png

But when the current version is changed on a previous period/partition power bi doesn't update the old data.

Probably because of Power BI sends a query to the database with the following where-clause 'CurrentVersion = 1' and doesn't find the updated row in the returning table.

Source table:

NikGT_3-1606481296935.png

Partitions:

NikGT_4-1606481412473.png

Does any of you have a solution for this problem?

Br

Nik

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, you are right. When you add a filter on CurrentVersion = 1 in Power Query Editor, only rows whose CurrentVersion value is 1 will be imported into Power BI. 

You could remove the filter CurrentVersion = 1 in Power Query Editor and apply the changes, then rows with all version values in the date range will be imported into the model. (Or filter rows with version values currently used or to be used in the future.)

As an alternative, you could add a filter or a slicer in the report to select which version data to see in the report. At last, republish the report to Service to make incremental refresh work.

Reference that may help:

Incremental refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"You could remove the filter CurrentVersion = 1 in Power Query Editor and apply the changes, then rows with all version values in the date range will be imported into the model. (Or filter rows with version values currently used or to be used in the future.)"

Is there a way to filter the dataset after the data has ben loaded in to the dataset? So all of my reports that has this dataset as source won't show the versions that is not the currentversion?

I have tested using RLS and applied CurrentVersion = 1 but then all of the data shows in my Pagniated Reports.

@Anonymous sorry for the late reply. 

If it is Power BI report, you could use filters in the report to decide which data range to show.

If it is Paginated report, you could use parameters to narrow the scope of data. This video may be helpful: Power BI Paginated Reports: Data source, Dataset and parameters - YouTube

Best Regards,
Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors