Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gipiluso
Resolver II
Resolver II

Incremental Refresh

Do we have any experience with powerbi Premium?
We would like to use incremental refresh feature in daily hours, but once a day we have to schedule a full refresh, is is possible?
Any comment in the documentation and we don't have a premum tenant for test, anyone used it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently the way Incremental refresh is managed it will only do a full refresh on first load, after which it will only then do an incremental refresh based on your settings.

I have heard that when XMLA is made available you will have better control via XMLA on how to process partitions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lovelyvalencia
Frequent Visitor

We have 5 tables introducing incremental refresh having a 13 months range and we are using a small dataset. Unfortunately, the scheduled refresh are always failing (timeout issues). We also tried using views for those tables to view the native queries of each table but the refresh still fails. What do you think is the issue? And what would be the possible solution for this?

Hi there

What happens if you run the query on your source system how does that run?

Power BI Blog

We set a daily Incremental Refresh to a 120M dataset.

It takes data from a SQL server via MS gateway.

All works fine but each refresh spend about 20 minutes. 

If we set a standard refresh on a copy of dataset (same endpoint, same hour...) it takes same time.

It looks quite strange...

Today standard refresh takes less time than incremental refresh. I cannot believe it!

What should I check? 

Hi there

Are you sure that your query is being folded back to the SQL Server system?

And that the incremental refresh is correctly set up?

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently the way Incremental refresh is managed it will only do a full refresh on first load, after which it will only then do an incremental refresh based on your settings.

I have heard that when XMLA is made available you will have better control via XMLA on how to process partitions.

Power BI Blog

I had access to PBI Premium server and I can confirm that currently there is no way to schedule/trigger a full refresh of an incremental load dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors