Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental Refresh for Dynamics 365 online

I have removed any extra column/caclulated columns from my model but my schedule refreshh is still taking more than 1 an hour.
Moreover i  have read that dynamics dsnt supports query folding which is recmmended for incremental refresh.
As a test i removed  table named user logins (Audits) from model which has around 1 million records then it only took 5-6 minutes for refresh but due to this table it shoots to one hour plus .My file size is just 56 Mb.

I have few questions.

•  What is possible way to achieve incremnetal refresh with dynamics 365?Or any other workaound or solution>
  • On one side i am performing  tranformations like removing columns from my model to decrease refresh time but on other handside if source dsnt supports query folding so all these efforts are use less?
  • If i put a filter like get rows for last year so as source dsnt supports query folding so it will fetch all record during refresh.

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

•  What is possible way to achieve incremnetal refresh with dynamics 365?Or any other workaound or solution

Hope this post could help you: HOW DO I: IMPLEMENT AN INCREMENTAL REFRESH IN POWER BI (FREE OR PRO)?

The author used Power BI Desktop to connect to Dynamics 365 Business Central.

• On one side i am performing  tranformations like removing columns from my model to decrease refresh time but on other handside if source dsnt supports query folding so all these efforts are use less?

Some transformations can achieve folding and some prevent folding. Removing columns can be query folded.

• If i put a filter like get rows for last year so as source dsnt supports query folding so it will fetch all record during refresh.

For incremental refresh, after you publish the file to Power BI Service, the first refresh operation loads historical data. Subsequent refreshes are incremental, and it won't fetch all record during refresh, and (if scheduled to run daily) perform the following operations:

• Add a new day of data.

• Refresh n1 days up to the current date.

• Remove calendar years that are older than n2 years prior to the current date.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icey hey its pro and i knw about incremental refresh but what i want to say is that source isnt supporting query folding so all these questions are around this that if source isnt supporting then how can implement incremental?Beside applying filter in query editor it will fetch all records and then it will perform at its own end

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice this. I just tested it, and indeed, Dynamic 365 (online) does not support query folding.

But this doesn't mean it can't apply incremental refresh. Just can't guarantee the effect.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors