Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

js1401

Incremental Refresh and Re-Publishing from Desktop

Hi there,

I've recently started using Power BI and am still getting familiar with things.

I've established an incremental refresh to take snapshots of a small data set (a sharepoint list) so I can show my user how that data has changed over time. I've used this method and it seems to be working great:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/04/13/keep-the-existing-data-in-your-power-bi-dataset-and-add-new-...

The only issue I seem to be having is that when I republish the report from PBI Desktop to add some new visuals, I seem to be clearing the data set that incremental refresh has been steadily building up.

What am I doing wrong here?

Many thanks in advance 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @js1401 ,

next to what @Greg_Deckler already suggested, you might consider to separate the content development and the data model development into 2 pbix files.

use one pbix that just contains the data model, and the refresh policy.

use the 2nd pbix and connect to the power bi dataset, that has been published with the 1st pbix

TomMartens_0-1596124687709.png

This also allows to create measures in the 2nd pbix, the "content pbix".

If you are in the lucky situation and have Power Premium you can enable the XMLA read/write endpoint this will allow using the external tool ALM Toolkit to update the structural changes without affecting existing partitions.

You also have to be aware that the dataset will grow. So it can happen that you can download the pbix, but you will not be able to open the pbix in Power BI Desktop to make your changes.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @js1401 ,

next to what @Greg_Deckler already suggested, you might consider to separate the content development and the data model development into 2 pbix files.

use one pbix that just contains the data model, and the refresh policy.

use the 2nd pbix and connect to the power bi dataset, that has been published with the 1st pbix

TomMartens_0-1596124687709.png

This also allows to create measures in the 2nd pbix, the "content pbix".

If you are in the lucky situation and have Power Premium you can enable the XMLA read/write endpoint this will allow using the external tool ALM Toolkit to update the structural changes without affecting existing partitions.

You also have to be aware that the dataset will grow. So it can happen that you can download the pbix, but you will not be able to open the pbix in Power BI Desktop to make your changes.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@js1401 - Right, you need to follow this process:

1. Download PBIX from Service

2. Make updates

3. Republish

You are overwriting the dataset each time you publish from desktop, so make sure you have the most recent copy of the data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler - many thanks for your response and makes sense but when I tried what you suggested, I couldn't download the .pbix - I believe this is one of the drawbacks of using incremental refresh as the dataset may be huge (although mine isn't). 

I will either go with @TomMartens or maybe do the snapshotting/data history at source.

All the best 🙂

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors