Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhillipWeeks
Frequent Visitor

Incremental Refresh Woes

Hello All,  I've been trying to get incremental refresh working for a while now with no success.  I successfully create parameters RangeStart and RangeEnd and the date column in my table is a date/time and I put the filter in place successfully and query-folding is possible and everything looks like it should work.  I create a refresh window of 1 month and I archive over 10 years.  
I do a full refresh in Power BI desktop and the numbers all match with the non-incremenal Report that has the current data in the online service.  I publish this incremental dataset and report and the numbers still match.  I do a refresh with the same source data which has not changed all day and bingo the numbers between the incremental and non-incremental refresh no longer match in the service. 
I have No idea what is happening. Even when I select a subset date range, the numbers are still off and this happens after the online refresh.  The desktop refresh matches the non-incremental report in the service exactly.  This is weird! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did have <= RangeEnd and did not know there was an issue with this logic.  However, I will remove the =, republish and compare the incremental refresh total to the scheduled full refresh in the service tomorrow.
I've tested this now with our 35 million rows data set and this was indeed the issue. 
 This did correctly update the data set in a record 1 minute time! So Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I would compare row counts and min/max of dates to see where the difference lies. Then compare values at the date level to see which have missing/extra rows.

Also, did you confirm you have >= RangeStart and < RangeEnd (people often put <= and get duplicate rows).

Pat

Microsoft Employee

I did have <= RangeEnd and did not know there was an issue with this logic.  However, I will remove the =, republish and compare the incremental refresh total to the scheduled full refresh in the service tomorrow.
I've tested this now with our 35 million rows data set and this was indeed the issue. 
 This did correctly update the data set in a record 1 minute time! So Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors