Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kaan_Mavice
Regular Visitor

Incremental Refresh Polling expression

Hi guys,

Could you help me deeply understand the polling expression? I saw this feature as using for detecting data change between incremental refresh period, but I cannot exactly understand how it works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kaan_Mavice ,

According to the official document, detect data changes needs you specify a date/time column used to identify and refresh only the days where the data has changed. (This should not be the same column used to partition the data with the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters.) The maximum value of this column is evaluated for each of the periods in the incremental range. If it has not changed since the last refresh, the current period is not refreshed. Therefore, it will use the resources efficiently and make the refresh quicker. For more details, you could refer to Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr....

Basically, it works as the following flow summarized in this video from Guy in Cube(Power BI Incremental Refresh - Understanding Detect Data Changes - YouTube).

vcazhengmsft_0-1659061296901.png

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kaan_Mavice ,

According to the official document, detect data changes needs you specify a date/time column used to identify and refresh only the days where the data has changed. (This should not be the same column used to partition the data with the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters.) The maximum value of this column is evaluated for each of the periods in the incremental range. If it has not changed since the last refresh, the current period is not refreshed. Therefore, it will use the resources efficiently and make the refresh quicker. For more details, you could refer to Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr....

Basically, it works as the following flow summarized in this video from Guy in Cube(Power BI Incremental Refresh - Understanding Detect Data Changes - YouTube).

vcazhengmsft_0-1659061296901.png

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors