Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental Refresh - Future values

Hi all,

I've setup incremental refresh for the main FACT table in our dataset. This table includes actuals and budget data. 

THe incremental refresh is working correctly, however for the budget numbers it filters all the future values out of the dataset. For example: We have budget numbers for the entire year, when I setup the incremental refresh it only brings in values up to year to date. 

How do I change the settings for incremental refresh to include budget numbers for the full year? I see in the documentation about effective date but I don't where/how to apply this settings to the incremental refresh. 

Any help would be great. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh#xmla-endpoint-be...

TheBlacklist_0-1600981202223.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Anonymous 

Here is the extract below

GilbertQ_0-1601256797279.png

And what you would need to do is to change the effectiveDate to be the date in the future you want it to go into.

For example if you wanted it to go until the end of 2020 you would change it to the following:

{ 
  "refresh": {
    "type": "full",

"applyRefreshPolicy": true,
    "effectiveDate": "12/31/2020",

"objects": [
      {
        "database": "IR_AdventureWorks", 
        "table": "FactInternetSales" 
      }
    ]
  }
}

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know with incremental refreshing it will only go as far as the current date and not into the future.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ thank you for the reply. In the documentation it talks about using effective date to pull future values out. Do you know how I can use this?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh#xmla-endpoint-be...

"effectiveDate – If an incremental refresh policy is being applied, it needs to know the current date to determine rolling window ranges for the historical range and the incremental range. The effectiveDate parameter allows you to override the current date. This is useful for testing, demos, and business scenarios where data is incrementally refreshed up to a date in the past or the future (for example, budgets in the future). The default value is the current date."

hi @Anonymous 

Here is the extract below

GilbertQ_0-1601256797279.png

And what you would need to do is to change the effectiveDate to be the date in the future you want it to go into.

For example if you wanted it to go until the end of 2020 you would change it to the following:

{ 
  "refresh": {
    "type": "full",

"applyRefreshPolicy": true,
    "effectiveDate": "12/31/2020",

"objects": [
      {
        "database": "IR_AdventureWorks", 
        "table": "FactInternetSales" 
      }
    ]
  }
}

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah I should've read the documentation properly. I had to create a new script then copy and paste the effective code and execute.

Got it working. Thank you

Awesome thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Hi there

You are correct in that will apply if you are using Power BI Premium, where you can control it via the XMLA.

If it is in Power BI Pro I do not think that this is possible.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  Yeah thats right. We have premium. Do you know how to apply this? I'm struggling to find where to apply the effective date

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Did you find where to apply these changes?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors