Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

longtruong

Incorrect SUM number?

Hello Everyone,

I have first tried PowerBI with a very simple query and got incorrect SUM number.

PowerBI - Incorrect SUM number.png

The correct total must be 373 instead of 318 in the above image.  I am not sure if Count (Distinct) of SAP ID causes this problem.  Can anyone please explain?

Thanks,

Long

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

There will be a DAX formula that does it but I'm not exactly sure how (I'm new to DAX but not distinct count issues).

At a guess investigating SUMX might be a good start, it should be possible to get that to sum the distinct count for each month.

Here's a link to what looks like a similar technique:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/02/sumx-the-5-point-palm-exploding-fxn-technique/

View solution in original post

Try create new key that combine SAPID and MonthID and then do DistinctCount on this new key field

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're using a distinct count then the total won't be a sum of each month it will be another distinct count for all months. IDs that appear in more than one month will be counted only once for the total.

e.g.

The values

Month   SAP ID

April      1

April      2

May      1

May      3

Would give 2 for April, 2 for May and 3 for the total because while SAP ID 1 appears in both months but is only counted once for the total.

Hello BarneyL,

Thanks for your response.  Is there any way to apply distinct count on month but count on total?

Regards,

Long

Try create new key that combine SAPID and MonthID and then do DistinctCount on this new key field

Hello BarneyL and Tishchenko,

Thank you very much for your information.  It really helps.

Regards,

Long

Anonymous
Not applicable

There will be a DAX formula that does it but I'm not exactly sure how (I'm new to DAX but not distinct count issues).

At a guess investigating SUMX might be a good start, it should be possible to get that to sum the distinct count for each month.

Here's a link to what looks like a similar technique:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/02/sumx-the-5-point-palm-exploding-fxn-technique/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors