Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Inconsistent scheduled refresh

I have a relatively simple model sheduled to refresh every 2 hours from 10am to 6pm every day. You can see from the attached that mostly it takes about 15-20min to run, but occassionally takes much longer or fails completely.

The issue is that I have other bigger models running in the evening, and some Power Update processes set to run after these, so either the power bi service gets messed up with too many things running, or my power update has run before the data is ready.

The main datasource for the model is coming via sql query of our live ERP system and typically there will be lots of users on the system until about 5pm.  Is this the sort of thing that would slow down the model refersh, if lots of activity on the sql source database or is that not a factor? Quite often it is the 6pm refresh that hangs, when system should be quiet.  Just wondering what sort of issues could cause this behaviour?  The gateway runs on a remote server and I already know if there is any other processes being run on that server it can cause issues as it has limited resources.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be apprecaited

Mike

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi 

I would recommend you to read this article about gateway and schedule refresh issue.

Best regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie

I have the on-remises gateway set to personal mode. So I dont have a path C:\Program files\On-premise data gateway so can't change the to config files to enable the duration logging?    I tried searching my C: drive but no sign of Microsoft.PowerBI.Data...... files.  I'm assumnig witohut changing these the logging will not have any duretion information

I also can't add any counters as "on-premise data gateway" is not a choice in the available counters drop down.

Any ideas?

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors