Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

uk_tj
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Incomplete data showing in report during a refresh

Hi All,

I have an issue which is become really really annoying. Hopefully someone can assist...

When a user opens the report in the service during a refresh, they are presented with incomplete data.

They then contact me to complain about the report being broken.

By the time I get to the report, the refresh has completed and the report looks / works as it should.

There will be merge / append operations in the query.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
Testeri
Frequent Visitor

I have similar behaviour in my reports. I don't know how long it has been like that. When I publish report from Power Bi Desktop, Service shows old data until refresh is completed. Tested this couple of times today. I don't use incremental refresh. This is a bit annoying because my report refresh might take 1-2 hours and some old data is showing during refresh.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @uk_tj 

According to my research and testing, if your dataset is not set up for incremental refresh, trigger a scheduled refresh on the service, during the data refresh, as long as the latest data model in the background is not fully loaded into the cache of Power BI, the background data model used by your front-end report interaction is the old model before refreshing, as long as the new data model is fully loaded into the cache of Power BI will be replaced, so without setting incremental refresh. This problem will be avoided altogether, and you can let the end user make sure that no filters or RLS rules are acting on the report.

For more information, you can refer to :

What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Let me guess - this dataset is including a table set up for incremental refresh, and you (the developer) have just updated  the report into the workspace?

No incremental refresh involved, at it's most complicated there may be a merge or append operation in the query

Refresh the data in Power BI Desktop before updating the report into the workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors