Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RyanAck
Advocate I
Advocate I

Impossible? External sharing, consume on mobile app

Hi everyone, I am stumped here. Let me start with the goal: we want external users outside of our tenant to be able to access reports shared with them on app.powerbi.com AND on the mobile app for iPhone / iPad. 

These report consumers do not have pro licenses, but we have Premium P1 and the users creating the reports have pro licenses. 

So far, we're able to share external and access via a web browser without issue, but we cannot use the mobile app. This article on Azure B2B says the following: 

This feature is not currently available with the Power BI mobile apps. On a mobile device, you can view Power BI content shared using Azure AD B2B in a browser.

I've read many threads, like this one, but am having a hard time confirming 100%. 

I might be overthinking what this is saying. My interpretation is that if external consumers want to view reports on mobile, they must use their browser to access embedded reports. 

Can anyone positively confirm for me that it's impossible for an external user to view Power BI apps, dashboards, or reports shared with them on the mobile app? They must view in a browser? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi RyanAck,

Yes, external user can only access the shared content by clicking the link in email. And the link will be opened in a browser. No matter in mobile or computer. What's your concern?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi RyanAck,

Yes, external user can only access the shared content by clicking the link in email. And the link will be opened in a browser. No matter in mobile or computer. What's your concern?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy, we were incorrectly thinking that Premium P1 would allow external contractors on the road to use their mobile devices to access PBI reports via the app. It sounds like this is not possible, which means we should not keep P1 for this purpose. 

Thank you for your response.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors