Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing Excel Workbook from Sharepoint into PowerBI online

Hi All,

So I spent a few hours trying to import an excel workbook that is located on a Sharepoint site. I go to

"Get Data>Files>Sharepoint Team Sites".

I then paste the URL into the box but the only URL that works is www.[myname].sharepoint.com/sites/[sitename] and then I go into the folder and select the Excel File but out of around 10 worksheet tabs, only 2 load under the "Fields" section. However, when I "connected" it rather than importing it to see if the whole workbook would show on Excel Online, it worked. The entire workbook loaded onto Excel Online. 

My question is, why do only 2 worksheets load when i import the entire Workbook?

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Sara

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

When importing the Excel Workbook, it must contain a data model so that Power BI can generate datasets. That's the reason why only two workbook will appear. For your self test, you can import those workbook into Power BI Desktop to see if the data can be imported properly.

For more details, please see:

Get data from Excel workbook files

Import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors