Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import mode PBI got converted to direct query after publishing

Hi Team,

I have created a Import mode datasource for my reporting. But when i publish to the workspace. Since i already have this dataset in my Gateway, so it is autodetected, but when i tried to schedule. It says Direct query. But actually the in desktop i have used Import Mode for reporting. 

More over this dataset in Gateway used for mulitple reports using the IMPORT mode.

I am not sure, why it is behaving like this. 

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a Bug in the Tool, PowerBI team working on permanent fix. As an workaround  i have done below step fix the issue. 

• Please open the pbix file on Desktop
  • Go to file>> Options and Settings>> Options>> Preview Features >> Enable Store datasets using enhanced metadata format
  • Then republish the report on Power BI Service

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

could you provide a few screenshots of your tables and of the settings in the service? That way we can better judge what is happening. It shouldn't be changing these settings.

So if eventually it is actually a problem and if you have a Pro account you could try to open a (free) support ticket. Go to the support page to file a support ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please find the screenshot to show how it is defined in the desktop file and in workspace while scheduling refresh. 

Revert me incase if you need more information

Direct Query in Workspace.JPGDatasurce as Import.JPG

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can't reproduce it? May I ask a few questions?

• What data source do you connect?
  • Do you connect it with import mode? Do you connect it with Direct Query mode and then change it to import mode? Or do you connect it with DQ mode and then create other tables to change the mode to composite mode?

(Composite model in Power BI means part of your model can be a DirectQuery connection to a data source  and another part as Import Data.)

• Is  there any reports with the same name in different workspace?
  • Do you try republishing it to Service?

And can you please share the steps that you did? Then we will understand clearly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using SQL DB as data source and 10 different queries. 9 Queries related to same DB and all are in import mode. Please find my initial screenshot for reference. 10th query is Calendar, no data source connected to it. 

I am using the same dataset for other reports in workspace. Other works fine without any issue. 

All table in the Datasource uses same Import mode. I never changed the mode. From the beginning it is in same Import mode. 

When i refresh from desktop, it works completely fine. Facing issue only after publishing the report ot workspace. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for late back. I still can't reproduce the issue.  And I don't find others encounter it. On the forum side, it's hard for us to provide any more support about this issue. Please create a support ticket to resolve it.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm running into this issue as well.  I have a report with 2 SQL server connections, 5 PostgreSQL connections, and 4 Excel connections.  I checked each one individually in the data model view and all of them are setup with Storage Mode: Import.  However, when I publish them to the service, the scheduled refresh only gives me the option of "Scheduled Cache Refresh".  I tried using this, but nothing is getting refreshed.  I tried publishing it to a different workspace and have the same problem.  This starting happening earlier in the week.  Was any solution found for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a Bug in the Tool, PowerBI team working on permanent fix. As an workaround  i have done below step fix the issue. 

• Please open the pbix file on Desktop
  • Go to file>> Options and Settings>> Options>> Preview Features >> Enable Store datasets using enhanced metadata format
  • Then republish the report on Power BI Service

@Anonymous 

Can you please open the PBIX file in Power BI Desktop and share a screen shot to know the mode. (Import/Direct Query/Import+Direct Query - It is reflected in right side bottom corner).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors