Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sengyap
Helper I
Helper I

Import data with multiple levels

In the tutorial video, the microsoft guy was able to import data with different levels (e.g., he was able to break down geography into cities and countries, and break down products into different types of products).

If I have a column, e.g., products, in my excel file, how should I prepare the data so that when I import into Power Bi Service, it can be broken down into different types of products (such as cameras, wheels, tablet)?

18 REPLIES 18
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sengyap,

>>In the tutorial video, the microsoft guy was able to import data with different levels (e.g., he was able to break down geography into cities and countries, and break down products into different types of products).

Since I'm not very clear your requirement, can you share us some detail information about this?

In addition, if you want to group by product type, you can follow below steps to prepare data.

Table:

Capture.PNG

Create visuals.

Matrix:

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sure. I am referring to this video tutorial https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-3-2-create-customize-simple-vis....

I am not sure how he was able to break down the "geography" category into so many city, country, district, and the "sales" categoy into revenue, units, YTD revenue.

category.jpg

When I import my data, my "country" data cannot be broken down into the respective countries, such as Indonesia, Cambodia.

category 1.jpg

Also, how was he able to connect to so many datasets in a single report?

Hi @sengyap,

>>When I import my data, my "country" data cannot be broken down into the respective countries, such as Indonesia, Cambodia.

Did you make sure the country field's data category is correctly identified to city or state or province?

If not, you should manual modify it.

Capture.PNG

In addition, you should drag your "geography" column to legend file to group the data.

>>Also, how was he able to connect to so many datasets in a single report?

You can use get data button to add multiple datasource which from different place.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Dear Xiaoxin_Sheng,

Thank you for replying.

I am using Power Bi service, not Power Bi desktop. Does it allow me to modify my country field's data category to city or state or province?

After I import the data sources using "get data", how do I use the data sources for my report? I am only able to use one data source per report.

Regards,

Seng Yap

Hi @sengyap,

>>After I import the data sources using "get data", how do I use the data sources for my report? I am only able to use one data source per report.

Based on research and test, It is impossible to use multiple datasource on service, perhaps you can edit on desktop and publish to service.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Can I modify my country field's data category to city or state or province using service?

Hi @sengyap,

I think this property only support desktop.(I can't find it at service side)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Do you happen to know how to do this?

image.png

Hi @sengyap,

>>Do you happen to know how to do this?

Did you mean the select all function? If as I said, you can turn on it at Format tab -> Selection Controls.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Sorry for the late reply.

I do not see the select all function on powerbi service.

I only see slicer, but it does not allow me to select more than one element and it only allows one field.

Hi @sengyap,

You can modify these options at edit report.

Turn off the "single select" option and turn on "select all" option:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Yes it works. Thank you.

May I also ask you two more other questions?

How do I minimise the empty space in my embedded map?

error.png

Also, I have a 'country' and 'location' column in my dataset. If i enter more than one location in the 'location' field, for example, Java, Jakarta, Bali, will it show up in three different spots on the powerbi map? 

error.png

Hi @sengyap,

You can modify the width property and height property to resize the embedded map size.

Capture.PNG

>>Also, I have a 'country' and 'location' column in my dataset. If i enter more than one location in the 'location' field, for example, Java, Jakarta, Bali, will it show up in three different spots on the powerbi map? 

I think it not support this feature.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Dear Xiaoxin,

I tried to modify the width and height property like you suggested. I switched it to 800 and 933 width, but the empty space becomes bigger. 680 width will make the report look very small. image.png

Is there a way to make the report fits the screen like this? I am not sure how the creator did this.

image 1.png

Dear Xiaoxin,

I have a column that contains URL links. However, when I import my data into Powerbi Service, the URL becomes text; there is no hyperlink property.

May I know if there is a way to keep the hyperlink property?

Regards,

Seng Yap

Hi @sengyap,

I think you can setting data category to solve this issue.(only power bi desktop support these features)

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

I have one more question. 

I am using the scatter plot function, and for one of the features "play axis", I chose "month". However, it does not sort according to ascending order (i.e., Jan, Feb,..) instead it sorts alphabetically. I tried converting it to 1 (Jan), 2 (Feb), but it still does not sort numerically.

error.png

Do you have a solution for this?

I am using powerbi service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors