Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elijah2018
Helper I
Helper I

Import data from web

Hi everyone, 

I am very new to PBI and have been using PBI Desktop for a couple of weeks now. In Desktop it was pretty straight forward to import data from the web by jst providing the URL. 

So wanted to try the web app and see if I could do the same things there as I did in Desktop. 

But the first problem I bumped in to was that I wasnt able to import data from the web right away, I read somewhere thats I needed a on-premise gateway, which I got. 

I added two new datasources to the gateway but when I look under ''Datasets'' I could still not see any of the two datasources I just provided. 

What am I doing wrong ? 

I've been trying using google to find a solution but a most of the links are to Q's and A's about PBI Desktop.

Best regards 

Elijah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@elijah2018 The Desktop is your workhorse. This aspect of the tool allows you to do all your ETL and modeling. You publish this to the Service where you share. While the front end report building experiance is shared between the two parts of the tool, the Service is much more the "Sharing" part of the tool and you are limited in what you can do. There are only a few connections you could make from the Service, and you would be really limited if you tried to build everything on it.

The gateway connects the Desktop file to on-premises data sources to refresh what you publish. It doesn't create datasets on its own. The only reason you have to do it in this instance is you are likely using web.contents and they've mandated it with that connection likely due to security.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@elijah2018 The Desktop is your workhorse. This aspect of the tool allows you to do all your ETL and modeling. You publish this to the Service where you share. While the front end report building experiance is shared between the two parts of the tool, the Service is much more the "Sharing" part of the tool and you are limited in what you can do. There are only a few connections you could make from the Service, and you would be really limited if you tried to build everything on it.

The gateway connects the Desktop file to on-premises data sources to refresh what you publish. It doesn't create datasets on its own. The only reason you have to do it in this instance is you are likely using web.contents and they've mandated it with that connection likely due to security.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors