Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marma330
Helper I
Helper I

Implications of upgrading? (can I revert it?)

I received an ‘upgrade’ popup: I thought it was only some cosmetic/visual thing only regarding my own user, but the upgrade was for the entire workspace and for all users.

I received the email “Your Power BI workspace now includes enhanced security and control” confirming the upgrade; it also had this link to check more information: Upgrade classic workspaces to the new workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

My first question is: this is clearly more than a “cosmetic” change, I did not went through the documentation… is there any way to revert the upgrade?

And also, I would like to know if there will be something like a ‘forced upgrade’ for this anytime soon? (what I mean is, even though I havent been through the documentation, if every workspace is going to be upgraded soon anyway, I might just leave it as it is...)

6 REPLIES 6
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marma330 ,

This document shows the main differences between classic workspace and new workspace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#new-and-classic-w... 

New and classic workspace differences

With the new workspaces, we've redesigned some features. Here are the main differences.

• Creating the new workspaces doesn't create Microsoft 365 groups like classic workspaces do. All the new workspace administration is in Power BI, not in Office 365. You can still manage user access to content through Microsoft 365 groups, if you want. You just add a Microsoft 365 group in the workspace access list.
  • Use more granular workspace roles for more flexible permissions management in the new workspaces. In classic workspaces, you can add only individuals to the members and admin lists.
  • Assign user groups to workspace roles: In the new workspaces, you can add multiple Active Directory security groups, distribution lists, or Microsoft 365 groups to these roles, for easier user management.
  • Contact list: In the new workspaces, you can specify who receives notification about workspace activity.
  • Create template apps: You can only create template apps in the new workspaces. Template apps are apps that you can distribute to customers outside of your organization. Those customers can then connect to their own data with your template app. Read more about template apps.
  • Share datasets: To share a dataset outside a specific workspace, you need to save the report that contains the dataset to one of the new workspaces. You can't share datasets from classic workspaces. Read more about shared datasets.
  • Organizational content packs: You create and consume organizational content packs in classic workspaces. You can't create or consume them in the new workspaces. Apps and template apps replace organizational content packs in the new workspaces. Organizational content packs are being deprecated. Now is a good time to upgrade your content packs to apps. See the workspace upgrade roadmap section of this blog post Announcing Power BI admins can upgrade classic workspaces for the timeline.

This document shows how to go back to a classic workspace and it's limitations.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-upgrade-workspaces#go-back-to-a-...

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @marma330 ,

There is a way to go back.  However, I will point out that I believe in the next few months that all workspaces are going to be automatically upgraded.  

• An option to go back to a classic workspace is provided in case you need it. However, it doesn't fully restore some aspects of your workspace before it was upgraded. If you start using features that work only in the new workspace experience, you won't be able to go back. The go back option is available for 30 days after you upgrade.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Do you know when in the next few months that will happen?? (is there any blog or documentation talking about the date?)

HI @marma330 ,

According the this blog, the automatic upgrade is going to happen "mid-2021":

Announcing Power BI Admins can upgrade classic workspaces and roadmap update | Microsoft Power BI Bl...

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

thank you very much! I was just wondering, is there any valid reason not to upgrade?

HI @marma330 ,

The only thing is that the old workspaces still support content packs.  But, the content packs themselves are being officially deprecated very soon (like in the next month if I recall correctly).  So, taht is a very temporary, but valid, reason not to upgrade. 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors