Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cs_astron
Frequent Visitor

Implementing Power BI on an on premise database

I am trying to figure out what is need to to implement Power BI on an in-house system. We want to host the database on our system and be able to display reports and dashboards to our internal users as well as to some external users. What in the way is needed in the way of the software Power BI Pro or Premium, where do we publish the Power BI reports to (Power BI Report server???) and how would the internal or external users access the Reports and Dashboards.

Any help would be appreciated. We are trying to detemine the best path and cost.

2 REPLIES 2
cs_astron
Frequent Visitor

I was looking for a setup diagram or explanation of how Power BI Pro was used versus Power BI Premium. Meaning, how do get a chart or report into the system and where would it be housed and how inside collegues as well as outside customers would access charts/reports under each type of product. We are looking to house the charts/reports in house instead of in the cloud.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you want Power BI Premium (which comes with Power BI Report Server) or if you have SQL Server Enterprise with SA then you also own Power BI Report Server. See this article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/power-bi-licensing-pictures-greg-deckler-microsoft-mvp-/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors