Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Implement access into power bi service without using RLS ( Based on reports or pages )

Greeting All ,

I have a little trick that im trying to implement in my project, (without using the RLS since the model is a little bit complicated ) .

Here is a Mini example :

So let’s say I have a report that contain 5 pages: Page Global , Page Goalkeepers , Page Defenders , Page MiddleFielders , Page Forwards . 

PBF 1 .PNG

My data source is located on the SharePoint (the workspace is auto generated  by SharePoint ) ,  so I have like 20 members on it, my objective is that I want to build access on my Power BI service: basically,  I have 4 types of access that I need to implement in my power bi service

• Goalkeeper => View only page goalkeeper
  • Defender => View only page Defenders
  • Middle fielder => View only Middlefielders page
  • Forward => View only Forward page

My idea is to publish 5 Reports, the first one will contain all the pages ,  but the other 4 reports each one will contain 1 single page.

My issue here im not sure if I can grant access to my members based on the page !

Per exe :  I want to give specific members access only to Goalkeeper page and other members only Forward page etc …

Thanks in Advance to the community !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You may use username() or userprincipalname() which always return the user in specific format to specify which user to view the content with RLS. If you want to achieve it without using RLS, I don't think it is safe even though you may use other ways to do with it.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You may use username() or userprincipalname() which always return the user in specific format to specify which user to view the content with RLS. If you want to achieve it without using RLS, I don't think it is safe even though you may use other ways to do with it.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I am not sure how you would be able to do this without RLS.

There is a possible option to use Filtering. The thing is that filters can be overridden so it is not a secure way of keeping the data secure.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors