Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msft-cap
Helper I
Helper I

Implement DAX row level security in Power BI service

Hi

My goal is to create two reports from one Dataset, as I can only do that on service, I am in the process of recreating the report along with row level security DAX filters defined on Power BI desktop in Power BI Service. Is it possible to write DAX row level security similar to how we define in Manage Roles in Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msft-cap

Regarding the requirement "create two reports from one Dataset", henriquesilveir's suggestions are very helpful, please have a look and try.

I am in the process of recreating the report along with row level security DAX filters defined on Power BI desktop in Power BI Service. Is it possible to write DAX row level security similar to how we define in Manage Roles in Desktop?

First,it should be noted it is impossible to write DAX formulas in power bi service.

Besides, from above it seems why you need to create DAX formulas is to create RLS in power bi service, it is no need to create DAX fromula to define RLS again in service.

Please see this article to know how to set RLS with Power bi desktop and service.

You can define roles and rules within Power BI Desktop.

When you publish to Power BI, it will also publish the role definitions. so you don't need to create the similar DAX formula in power bi service.

Then in power bi service, manage security on your data model.

Go to the RLS page, add members to a role you created in Power BI Desktop. 

You can add a member to the role by typing in the email address, or name, of the user, security group or distribution list you want to add.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msft-cap

Regarding the requirement "create two reports from one Dataset", henriquesilveir's suggestions are very helpful, please have a look and try.

I am in the process of recreating the report along with row level security DAX filters defined on Power BI desktop in Power BI Service. Is it possible to write DAX row level security similar to how we define in Manage Roles in Desktop?

First,it should be noted it is impossible to write DAX formulas in power bi service.

Besides, from above it seems why you need to create DAX formulas is to create RLS in power bi service, it is no need to create DAX fromula to define RLS again in service.

Please see this article to know how to set RLS with Power bi desktop and service.

You can define roles and rules within Power BI Desktop.

When you publish to Power BI, it will also publish the role definitions. so you don't need to create the similar DAX formula in power bi service.

Then in power bi service, manage security on your data model.

Go to the RLS page, add members to a role you created in Power BI Desktop. 

You can add a member to the role by typing in the email address, or name, of the user, security group or distribution list you want to add.

Best Regards

Maggie

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@msft-cap hello, see if i understood your question: You want twice views of same dataset correctly?

you have 3 ways to do this, take a look:

1 - Dynamic RLS integrated with your AD, i means that is the best way because you have a dynamic security integrate with AD security group and manage all data acess using AD not in PBI. to do this use this link .

Or you can use a simple RLS to secure your data.

2 - You can duplicate your report and set a report filter and set access for each user, but if your have a lot of user i hope that you generate a lot of work to manage this! 😛

3 - You can use a URL Filter, take a look: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

I always use the first way Dynamic RLS with AD or only RLS, it's awesome! 

All option need be develop into Power BI Desktop, is not possible to do into PBI Service.

Let me know if you got the solution! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors