Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chait_ivy
Regular Visitor

If I Connect Bigquery to power BI and make changes to data in Power BI will it cost

Hi Team,

Hope you're doing well!

If I connect Google looker(Data) studio with bigquery table and make changes in the datastudio dashboard, sometimes it will run a query on the backend of google bigquery and price will be charged for the query you used as per Bigquery pricing.

However, my question is if I conenct power bi with bigquery, I believe it will create cache table in power bi and if we create dashboard and make any changed in the reports are dashboard, it will not call bigquery table, and instead it used the data from power bi Cached table, am I correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Yes, you are correct. When you connect Power BI with BigQuery, Power BI creates an in-memory cache of the data that it pulls from BigQuery, which is stored in the Power BI dataset. When you create a dashboard or report in Power BI using that dataset, the queries for the visuals are run against the cached data in the Power BI dataset, rather than against the original data in BigQuery.

This means that once the data has been cached in the Power BI dataset, subsequent queries for the same data will not incur additional BigQuery costs. However, you should keep in mind that the cached data in Power BI can become stale over time, and Power BI may need to refresh the data from BigQuery, which can result in additional BigQuery costs.

You can configure the data refresh settings for your Power BI dataset to control how frequently the data is refreshed from BigQuery. By default, Power BI uses a combination of query folding and caching to minimize the amount of data that needs to be refreshed from BigQuery, and to minimize the overall cost of running queries against BigQuery.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Yes, you are correct. When you connect Power BI with BigQuery, Power BI creates an in-memory cache of the data that it pulls from BigQuery, which is stored in the Power BI dataset. When you create a dashboard or report in Power BI using that dataset, the queries for the visuals are run against the cached data in the Power BI dataset, rather than against the original data in BigQuery.

This means that once the data has been cached in the Power BI dataset, subsequent queries for the same data will not incur additional BigQuery costs. However, you should keep in mind that the cached data in Power BI can become stale over time, and Power BI may need to refresh the data from BigQuery, which can result in additional BigQuery costs.

You can configure the data refresh settings for your Power BI dataset to control how frequently the data is refreshed from BigQuery. By default, Power BI uses a combination of query folding and caching to minimize the amount of data that needs to be refreshed from BigQuery, and to minimize the overall cost of running queries against BigQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors