Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tkaihock
Frequent Visitor

IBM DB2:"Microsoft Db2 Client: The request for the host resource failed. SQLSTATE=HY000 SQLCODE=-357

Hi,

I am trying to set up data source for IBM DB2 on Power BI service and encounter above error message.

Doing the same on PBI desktop using Microsoft driver yield the same error. However, using IBM driver on PBI desktop works well.

The problem is that I am unable to indicate to use IBM driver on PBI service via the gateway and I suppose the data source on PBI service is configure to use Microsoft driver. I checked, I have .Net 4.7 and the latest PBI desktop.

Please advise me if you have clues to resolve this issue. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tkaihock,

I have tested with the Microsoft Driver successfully. The coincidence is that I have the exact .net 4.5. Is this the cause? If it's possible for you to swich to .Net 4.5 for test?

IBM_DB2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot figure out a way to switch back to .Net 4.5, seems to come default with windows 10.

My data gateway is installed on machine A and DB2 is on machine B. Do both machines require .Net 4.5 or only machine A?

Does the version of DB2 matter? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-source-prerequisites

Hi @tkaihock,

I'm afraid the version of DB2 matters. Do you have the older one?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-jiascu-msft,

My version is 9.7. Can this version work?

Thanks.

Hi @tkaihock,

It should work. Please refer to this post. Finally I would suggest you open a support ticket here.

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi Dale,

I just realized my DB2 .NET data provider version is 9.7. Below mention need at least 10.1. I will work on getting the upgraded IBM Data Server Driver. Thanks.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-source-prerequisites

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

After some investigation, I realized that using Microsoft driver for IBM DB2 datasource, I can connect to the databases under the default instance, but not databases under the other instances. Have you tried connecting to databases under non-default instance using Microsoft driver? 

Thanks.

Hi @tkaihock,

The secret could be in the connect string. Maybe it's something like it in the SQL Server: ServerName\Instance. Please try out a different string for the Server. Related documents: Configuring access to DB2 databases and Designing instances.

IBM_DB23

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I briefly tried but cannot seem to make it work. But I manage to work around by just using ODBC. Thanks!

I am having the same problem. The thing is that my Power BI Gateway is updating just fine.

But when I try to connect with my Power BI Desktop do my IBM DB2 I get this message: Microsoft Db2 Client: The request for the host resource failed. SQLSTATE=HY000 SQLCODE=-357

I could connect regullarly few days ago. Nothing has chaneged on my Database.

It started working again after February 2019 Powe BI Desktop Upgrade. Now my Gateway can't connect to my IBM DB2. I wonder if Microsoft will manage to correct this on next Gateway update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors