Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ted_kim
Helper I
Helper I

I want to change the setting of the gateway data refresh timeout.

hi, guys.

I'm querying from a table with about 12 million records.

It will be easy to understand if you refer to what you wrote before.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/ORA-01013-I-want-to-change-the-query-timeout-setting/m-p/45...

It takes five hours to load the data.

so, If I refresh the data after installing a gateway, it fails to timeout after two hours.

I want to change the gateway timeout setting.

I tried.

Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config

<setting name="MashupDSRTestConnectionTimeout" serializeAs="String">
                        <value>00:00:50</value>     ------changed----->     <value>10:00:00</value>

but, failed.

Please help......

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ted_kim,

Power bi service has its own query timeout property, the maximum number is 120 minutes. You can consider to upgrade your license to premium to increase maximum timeout.(240 minutes)

Power BI Premium support for large datasets

Scheduled refresh of large datasets can take a long time and be very resource-intensive. Accordingly, do not schedule too many overlapping refreshes. Notice also that the timeout for scheduled refresh jobs has been doubled to four hours for all datasets in this capacity.

In addition, this timeout means queue and execute timeout, it not means refresh duration. 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MaddogMikeB_A_G
Frequent Visitor

Do it it batches 

SELECT need columns

FROM table
WHERE out_date > ADD_MONTHS(SYSDATE,-12)

SELECT need columns

FROM table
WHERE out_date > ADD_MONTHS(SYSDATE,-24) AND out_date < ADD_MONTHS(SYSDATE,-12)

Then join using DAX with a UNION and hide the two original tables 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ted_kim,

Power bi service has its own query timeout property, the maximum number is 120 minutes. You can consider to upgrade your license to premium to increase maximum timeout.(240 minutes)

Power BI Premium support for large datasets

Scheduled refresh of large datasets can take a long time and be very resource-intensive. Accordingly, do not schedule too many overlapping refreshes. Notice also that the timeout for scheduled refresh jobs has been doubled to four hours for all datasets in this capacity.

In addition, this timeout means queue and execute timeout, it not means refresh duration. 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@ted_kim Do you have any options to 1) reduce the columns returned to only those you need. "Select *" is the devil. Unless all the columns are coming from a view... 2) You could work to break the query up into seperate queries for different time ranges then combine them together... this may take more memory, but could reduce the overall time. 3) Do you have the ability to spin up a SSAS Tabular model? 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

1) Select * is not used.......

2) I used this

SELECT need columns

FROM table
WHERE out_date > ADD_MONTHS(SYSDATE,-24)

3) I don't have ability.....

Can not set timeout time?

p.s English is not a native language. so, the grammar can be strange.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors