Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naifAhmedB
Helper II
Helper II

I need help automating the reporting with client

Hi,

I work in a startup as a data analyst and we can afford paying for the pro account for our company only.

I want to simply make a report in power bi and allow my client to view it - download it.

my report's should be updated periodicaly (ranging from every hour to every month) that client's want to see the data.

we use SQL server & rest apis to get the data.

I have two basic queations:

1- what is the best way to connect lets say SQL server with power bi and get the data updated in the report every hour?

2- how can I publish that with the client?

3- can I set the report to be sent via email ?

4- does the client need to pay in all cases to view report?

5- Can I publish to web , get the link and put it in google-sites for the client to view it?

6- if I can, will he still need to pay to view the report?

Please don't refer me to a long artical to read as I am still new here.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KBO
MVP

Hi @naifAhmedB ,

first things first 🙂 why do you want that your customer can download your report? This is a bad idea. Imagin the can donwload it and add things into the original report you gave them. May be the try to test how this works and changing measures and the number will be wrong? 

Next:

1- what is the best way to connect lets say SQL server with power bi and get the data updated in the report every hour?

Simple over SQL connector 🙂 I like DQ because you data is fresh all the time you look into it. (Use Gateways for onpremise SQL Server)

May be Power BI embedded will be a thing for you? -> https://azure.microsoft.com/de-de/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/ (try the english version of the site ;))

Yes you can 🙂

No, if you use another licencing model. (Embedded is the cost efficent licence I would say but you need to know what to do ;))

5- Can I publish to web , get the link and put it in google-sites for the client to view it?

Don't use publish to web If you have sensitive data in your report! All people around the world will be able to see it also my grandma If she would know what Power BI is 😉

Publish to web is free and easy to share but its public! (You need a Pro Licence to share!)

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KBO
MVP

Hi @naifAhmedB ,

first things first 🙂 why do you want that your customer can download your report? This is a bad idea. Imagin the can donwload it and add things into the original report you gave them. May be the try to test how this works and changing measures and the number will be wrong? 

Next:

Simple over SQL connector 🙂 I like DQ because you data is fresh all the time you look into it. (Use Gateways for onpremise SQL Server)

May be Power BI embedded will be a thing for you? -> https://azure.microsoft.com/de-de/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/ (try the english version of the site ;))

Yes you can 🙂

No, if you use another licencing model. (Embedded is the cost efficent licence I would say but you need to know what to do ;))

Don't use publish to web If you have sensitive data in your report! All people around the world will be able to see it also my grandma If she would know what Power BI is 😉

Publish to web is free and easy to share but its public! (You need a Pro Licence to share!)

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors