Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

viktoreinars
Frequent Visitor

I have shared an app to an external user but they only see a flashing Power BI icon

I have published an app to powerbi.com and everything looks good there. My colleague (same domain) can view the app fine after I added him as member. 

However, if I share the app with an external user the external user is redirected to powerbi.com but sees only a flashing PowerBI icon. 

Anyone have an idea of why this is happening?

Best regards,

Viktor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @viktoreinars,

The users that I am sharing with do not have Office 365 licenses and therefore do not get an email. I am trying this right now with an actual user that has PowerBI and a mailbox. 

After a few more research, I found that this new feature(external sharing) is the result of Power BI integration with Azure Active Directory (AD) business-to-business (B2B) collaboration. And there are two ways to invite guest users to your Power BI tenant: planned invites or ad-hoc invites. Invitations are only needed the first time an external user is invited to your organization. For more details you can refer to this article.

One other thing: When I have shared the app with an external user, will the app be available in the "Get Apps" on powerbi.com? Or will the link in the email be the only way to view the app?

Based on my test, the app won't be available in "Get Apps" for the external user on Power service. They may have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @viktoreinars,

Based on my test, after an app is distributed to an external user, the recipient should receive an email like below. He/she may need to click the link(App Name) directly on the email to view the app for the first time(there will be some authentication steps needed to be done), or he/she may see only a flashing PowerBI icon. Smiley Happy

r3.PNG

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft and thanks for the reply.

The users that I am sharing with do not have Office 365 licenses and therefore do not get an email. I am trying this right now with an actual user that has PowerBI and a mailbox. 

One other thing: When I have shared the app with an external user, will the app be available in the "Get Apps" on powerbi.com? Or will the link in the email be the only way to view the app?

Hi @viktoreinars,

After a few more research, I found that this new feature(external sharing) is the result of Power BI integration with Azure Active Directory (AD) business-to-business (B2B) collaboration. And there are two ways to invite guest users to your Power BI tenant: planned invites or ad-hoc invites. Invitations are only needed the first time an external user is invited to your organization. For more details you can refer to this article.

Based on my test, the app won't be available in "Get Apps" for the external user on Power service. They may have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors