Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Xavi_Mora
Regular Visitor

I changed sources at desktop but old ones appear at service after publish

Hi!

I've changed the datasources of a report after migrating the database to another server with Desktop. Therefore in Desktop everything works perfect, it updates and so on.

However when I publish the report to the service, the datasources in there are still the old ones.

I've tried to overwrite the report and rename it but it doesn't work either way.

This happened to me in the past and I finally got to fix this by uploading->deleting->uploading again along several hours till it finally "forgot" the old datasources.

I'm sure this has happened to some ppl before so any thoughts on this? (I have to migrate quite a few reports so spending several hours for each of them is a problem)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Xavi_Mora
Regular Visitor

With the help of the support team we've been able to solve this.

The issue here was that every csv file saves a location path as metadata. In my case, I just copy/pasted these files from one server to another. In the new server these files have never been opened. Therefore the metadata in this files had the old path.

It seems that when a report is published, the path from the csv datasources is the one in the metadata not the one in the report. 99% of the times both are the same but not in my case.

Just renaming the files or opening and saving them makes the metadata to change, so then, when the report is published, it gets the correct paths from these files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Xavi_Mora
Regular Visitor

With the help of the support team we've been able to solve this.

The issue here was that every csv file saves a location path as metadata. In my case, I just copy/pasted these files from one server to another. In the new server these files have never been opened. Therefore the metadata in this files had the old path.

It seems that when a report is published, the path from the csv datasources is the one in the metadata not the one in the report. 99% of the times both are the same but not in my case.

Just renaming the files or opening and saving them makes the metadata to change, so then, when the report is published, it gets the correct paths from these files.

Xavi_Mora
Regular Visitor

Thanks both,

@Greg_Deckler I've tried deleting browser cache, new browser, new workplace, new user, and it didn't work. Anyway I followed your advise and I submited a ticket (our accounts are pro) and I'm working on it with the technician (he doesn't have any clue about why is happening either).

@v-kelly-msft  The credentials on that report are disabled (dunno why :S) so I cannot manually change them

Xavi_Mora_0-1596795685636.png

Thanks anyway both, lets see if the support team is able to help me.

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Xavi_Mora ,

Try to go to Service> settings>datasets>data source credentials:

Untitled.png

Choose Edit credentials,select the correct one.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Xavi_Mora - Honestly, never seen that. Very odd. Should overwrite the old dataset. You sure there wasn't perhaps a caching issue going on maybe on the browser side?

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors