Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new, Power BI report server OR on-premises data gateway

Hello Everyone,

I am new to power bi, and installing it, but, i did see on the download page that there is something called "On-Premises data gateway" after reading a little about it, I might be more interested in that, but not sure if it will fit my company requirements, so just want to find out more about it.

reading about On-Premises data gateway, its exactly as it says, its a gateway to connect the data to... the cloud services only? or can it be used to connect data to people deploying using Power BI desktop? 

for my company, we just want to be able to use Power BI to connect to a server that has our data, nothing really fancy, though i did suggest to create a nice archtectural data warehouse... but, that will be down the line I guess... but again what they want is to use Power BI, create reports, and show them, the data we will be connecting to with power BI will be normalized and not sadly a star/snowflake table structure, so my questions are:

1. will On-premises Data gateway be just find for this requriement?

2. does On-Premises data gateway require a lot of CPU/memory/ storage if we had a lot of Power BI reports?

3. for Power BI Report Server, is there a website that shows best practices when configuring it?

4. Does Power BI Report Server require a connection/installation of SSAS?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry everyone, but thank you, i really like this forum, i was able to find my answer from Greg_Deckler:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/difference-between-On-Premises-Gateway-and-Report-Ser...

he writes:

No, they are different things. The gateways are intended for the Power BI Service (cloud) to access on-premises data.

The Report Server is designed to be able to publish reports on-premises instead of publishing to the Service (cloud).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry everyone, but thank you, i really like this forum, i was able to find my answer from Greg_Deckler:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/difference-between-On-Premises-Gateway-and-Report-Ser...

he writes:

No, they are different things. The gateways are intended for the Power BI Service (cloud) to access on-premises data.

The Report Server is designed to be able to publish reports on-premises instead of publishing to the Service (cloud).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors