Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jpf5046
Helper I
Helper I

Hypothetical Question Regarding Custom R Visuals

I'm currently developing a custom R visual with Power BI. 

If I create a custom visual in Power BI can I publish by custom visual to Power BI service and have users access my custom visual? 

I ask becasue from this url.

which states:

power biasdfsfagdsfdafsdfsd.PNG

If I follow the url correctly, then there is no sense developing a custom R visual becasue I would only be able to view the custom visual locally, is this correct? 

Or is it a different if I am a Power BI Pro user? 

Thank you 

John 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would instead be better off creating a dashboard within Power BI Service and sharing that dashboard.  I've not tested Custom R visuals with Publish to the Web, so i cannot state what outcome you would see.  I can only go off the documention here.  I really wanted to make sure you were clear that 'Publis to the Web' is a specific function within the Power BI service, its not the publish button in your Power BI Desktop.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

'Publish to the Web' is a function inside Power BI Service.  When you click "Publish" in your Power BI Desktop, you are simply uploading this to your Personal Workspace, or chosen workspace, within the Power BI Service.

When you choose how you wish to share these reports or dashboards to your users, one of those options is the "Publish to the Web" way.

@Anonymous so if I have an R custom Visual and I publish to web, the visual will not show? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would instead be better off creating a dashboard within Power BI Service and sharing that dashboard.  I've not tested Custom R visuals with Publish to the Web, so i cannot state what outcome you would see.  I can only go off the documention here.  I really wanted to make sure you were clear that 'Publis to the Web' is a specific function within the Power BI service, its not the publish button in your Power BI Desktop.

This distince difference is new to me. Power BI service basically Power BI on Sharepoint? 

Hi @jpf5046,

As I tested, you share your R visual by "Publish ti web" or sharing your dashbord, both of them are good. Other people will see the customer R visual no matter what method you used.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, Power BI service is the Power BI found through office 365.  You access it via:

https://app.powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors