Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hundreds of dataflows for different clients (multiple questions!)

Hi all!

I am currently working on a project and am struggling with multiple issues. Could you help me?

Situation: we manage around 500 databases that contain data about ERP systems of clients. Each database/ERP system is related to one client of ours. The databases are spread over multiple on-premise SQL Servers.

Goal: to share dashboards and reports with these clients. Also, these dashboards and reports should be refreshed once or twice a day, in order for our clients to have access to up-to-date visualizations. 

Thoughts: since it is not necessary to have real-time dashboards, I consider creating a streaming dataset as out of scope. I already installed a gateway to be able to get data from our on-premise SQL Servers. 

Questions: - What is, in terms of storage and duplicating data, the difference between a dataflow and a dataset? 
                  - Since scheduled refresh is possible in both cases: if ETL is performed before importing the data into Power BI, is there still a reason to create a dataflow? Or is importing a dataset sufficient?
                  - Is it secure to have all 500 client datasets/data flows in one app workspace? Or should there be 500 workspaces to maximize security?
                  - Which Azure services are necessary/beneficial to create this? I am considering Analysis Services, Datawarehouse, Event Hubs and Stream Analytics. 
                  - Would it be better to merge all 500 databases into one data warehouse and then load all dataflows from this warehouse OR to keep all databases separate?
                  - How much of this can be automated/standardized? Because all 500 cases will go through the same process (ETL, creating dataflows, importing datasets, visualizations, sharing,...).

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors