Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rylan
Frequent Visitor

How would I set up direct query for an Application Insights resource?

Hello everyone,

I'm creating some dashboards and reports using data from Application Insights. This resource gets huge amounts of data flowing through every day, and I'm finding that despite a lot of filtering and aggregation, I have to import a lot of data on each refresh. On top of that, we're finding that we want our data to be more timely than is possible with the import constraints. Is there a way to set up Direct Query with this Application Insights resource? Since it uses Kusto under the hood and a Kusto cluster is an option for Direct Query, I figure there ought to be some way to do it, but I'm not quite sure how best to approach it.

If you think there's another way to get around these constraints that would better suit this particular situation instead, I'm also open to suggestions to that end.

Thanks,

Rylan

4 REPLIES 4
anthonycheng
Frequent Visitor

Slightly different topic but still related to importing Application Insights data into Power BI using Kusto SQL. 

I followed the instruction in here:

Export to Power BI from Azure Application Insights - Azure Monitor | Microsoft Docs

I also set the desired time period for past 7 days, which resulted in 4 million rows in the query result within Logs Analytic query windows. However, after embedding the same Kusto SQL (Export Power BI Query (M)) into Power Query data source, Power BI always limit the number of rows to 296,886 rows.

Is there any limitation or setting that I should know about for importing log analytics query result into Power BI?

Thanks

PBILover
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @Rylan , @v-xuding-msft  Do you got any solution on this? Direct query on the app insight data in power BI

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rylan ,

It is not supported to connect Application Insights with Direct Query mode. To make Power BI better, you can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuding-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand how I might best approach handling rapid updates and large volume for data coming from Application Insights if Direct Query isn't supported. As an alternative to Direct Query, do you think there's a way I might set up progressive updates in the Power BI dataset? I'm not sure I can have Application Insights send POST requests to my Power BI dataset, but maybe I can have Power BI just add new items when it queries Application Insights rather than replacing the whole dataset. How might I do something like that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors