cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rylan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How would I set up direct query for an Application Insights resource?

Hello everyone,

I'm creating some dashboards and reports using data from Application Insights. This resource gets huge amounts of data flowing through every day, and I'm finding that despite a lot of filtering and aggregation, I have to import a lot of data on each refresh. On top of that, we're finding that we want our data to be more timely than is possible with the import constraints. Is there a way to set up Direct Query with this Application Insights resource? Since it uses Kusto under the hood and a Kusto cluster is an option for Direct Query, I figure there ought to be some way to do it, but I'm not quite sure how best to approach it.

If you think there's another way to get around these constraints that would better suit this particular situation instead, I'm also open to suggestions to that end.

Thanks,

Rylan

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How would I set up direct query for an Application Insights resource?

Hi @Rylan ,

It is not supported to connect Application Insights with Direct Query mode. To make Power BI better, you can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Rylan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: How would I set up direct query for an Application Insights resource?

Hi @v-xuding-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand how I might best approach handling rapid updates and large volume for data coming from Application Insights if Direct Query isn't supported. As an alternative to Direct Query, do you think there's a way I might set up progressive updates in the Power BI dataset? I'm not sure I can have Application Insights send POST requests to my Power BI dataset, but maybe I can have Power BI just add new items when it queries Application Insights rather than replacing the whole dataset. How might I do something like that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 200 members 2,021 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: