Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarianneElver
Helper III
Helper III

How to use refresh on web data and leave out refresh on table from Onedrive?

Hi,

I have a pbix uploaded to Service. In the pbix, I have an online source from a csv through a web-connection, and it refreshes as it should.

In the datamodel, I have added an Excel table from my OneDrive. Data here are fixed, and no refresh is needed.

I have checked the "include in report refresh" off in Power Query for the Excel table.

The problem is: In Service, I can't shedule a refresh on the dataset, as it says that a Gateway is needed. I can't use a Gateway, as my computer will be off regularily.

Furthermore, I don't need that Gateway, as I don't need to refresh the Excel data. I only need to refresh the data from the web-connection, which does not need a Gateway. When excluding the Excel data, refresh is running fine (without Gateway).

Which steps are necessary to take in order to get rid of that message and to make refresh only to be about the web-connection data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MarianneElver,

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature, if you want to set the refresh, it will refresh the whole data in your data source. You could not just refresh the web data.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MarianneElver,

From your description, if your data source includes the data from web, you need to configure a gateway for it.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem#list-of-available-data-source-types

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have plenty of dashboards running on these kind of web data, and they work fine without gateways. The challenge is my Excel data, that I don't need to refresh, but it seems like it requires a gateway, because Power BI service thinks that data has to be refreshed too, but they don't. I am looking for ways to avoid that! KR Marianne

Hi @MarianneElver,

Based on my test, if your data source used the web.Page function, you need to configure a gateway for the datasource.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#power-bi-desktop-file

2.PNG

You could check it in the Advanced languae in query editor:

1.PNG

And it could work on my side:

1.PNG

I suggest you test it again.

Regards,

Daniel He

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am not using the web.page for my web data but another solution, and my web data is not at all the problem! My web data works and refreshes automatically without problems. My big challenge is the data from Excel that I have on my Onedrive. This data does not need to be refreshed, but it is part of a pbix that has other sources (hence the web data, that works fine). Once uploaded to Service, the pbix now asks for a gateway. Most likely because of the Excel data. So the question is: Can I get rid of having the Power BI Service asking for a gateway to data on my Onedrive, now that this Excel data does NOT need refresh? In other words, I need to leave out the refresh of the table that is built on Excel data, as data is static here. Is that possible?

Hi @MarianneElver,

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature, if you want to set the refresh, it will refresh the whole data in your data source. You could not just refresh the web data.

Regards,

Daniel He

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will post this as an idea - leaving out refresh on part of the dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors