Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

georgy_gryaznov
Frequent Visitor

How to use power bi parameters

Hi there.

Please, explain me how I can use parameters in my shared report to pass in a data source query?
I've understood how to use parameters in "settings->data sets->parameters" and gateways, BUT when I share the report, users are not able to set parameters in there accounts.

The whole problem is that I configure reports and I don't want anybody to see the data sources (pbix file). Power BI Service particulary resolves the issue, but there is a button "Download PBIX" that does not allow me to let the users work in my PBI account. That is why I decided to share a report, but i've lost the ability to set parameters to pass in the query.

Help, please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @georgy_gryaznov,

The parameters you mentioned above is Query Parameter configured in Query Editor. This parameter is used to dynamically change the loaded dataset. But it is not available to end users. For usage of query parameter, please see: Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1. While, you could use a slicer in report so that users are able to choose any value to dynamically change the report view.

In your scenario, to share reports, you can create an App WorkSpace and add others to WorkSpace members with read only permission. They can only view the report you publish to this workspace, while have no permission to edit any content.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @georgy_gryaznov,

The parameters you mentioned above is Query Parameter configured in Query Editor. This parameter is used to dynamically change the loaded dataset. But it is not available to end users. For usage of query parameter, please see: Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1. While, you could use a slicer in report so that users are able to choose any value to dynamically change the report view.

In your scenario, to share reports, you can create an App WorkSpace and add others to WorkSpace members with read only permission. They can only view the report you publish to this workspace, while have no permission to edit any content.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My Solution is:
1. Pull all data of huge period (1 year) and teach users how to use filtering
2. Sharing reports

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors