Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to track usage metrics in embedded report?

If I am embedding a PowerBI report into an iFrame, how do I track usage metrics of my end users? Do I need to use an analytics connector such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Current power bi usage metrics not support trace embedded reports:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

You can only consider to use third party service to trace them, but I not fully confirm if they can works for power bi embedded contents.

Regards,

Xiaxoin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Adamjberg

There is a work-around using GA4/tag manager. You can actually use data layer push events or data attributes to tag certain butttons or actions in your embedded PBI reports. You would need to match the names of attributes in your PBI reports with those in GA4/tag manager. 

E.g., 

Datalayer push events via click:

‘event’: ‘BTN: Download table’

‘event:’ ‘Compare XYZ by XYZ’

This does require some smaller front-end tasks but it does work and it's neat to have this reporting combined within GA4 if remainder or events/tracking is there as well for where you embedd your reports. 

Hope this helps! 

andreead89
Frequent Visitor

I was wondering if this is still the case and if you still need a 3rd party for tracking usage for end users?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Current power bi usage metrics not support trace embedded reports:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

You can only consider to use third party service to trace them, but I not fully confirm if they can works for power bi embedded contents.

Regards,

Xiaxoin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

As a work-around for getting PBIE usage metrics, what are some 3rd party providers that do this that I can consider?

Did you ever find a 3rd party vendor?

@pbeeyeqs I did NOT find a 3rd party vendor for that need last year.  However, it's a moot point for me now, since it originated from a particular project, and since then I've rolled-off of it.  Nonetheless, if you have a good solution, you're welcome to post it here, so other community members might benefit from it.

I would like to know this too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors